While I do not know anything about labor or giving birth yet--- thank God- (I have 90 middle school kids to take care of and that is ENOUGH for me!), I still believe that I can at least compare the thesis process to the miracle of life.
My graduate student friends and I have been carrying around our "thesis babies" for a long, long time. Of course, the beginning stages of the thesis are much slower than the end... but bear with me as I analyze the relationship between a real baby and the thesis creation.
CONGRATULATIONS! You're pregnant.... with an idea, that is. You have just conceived the idea to give your life away to this thing called your "thesis". You are all giddy at first and can't wait to tell your friends. But wait... the panic starts to set in. You mean, I actually have to do this? Am I going to be a good Mom (writer)? You teeter between excitement and pure horror when you realize the responsibilities ahead of you.
After a while, the idea settles in and it's time to work, work, work. You have to make sure you pick the right DOCTOR... (in this case, Ph.D) to make sure that this "baby" makes it to term. You pick the best and most knowledge team of Drs. for your baby because you know you can trust them with your precious cargo (workload).
Check-ups (meetings) are a must. You have to make sure that this "baby" is on the right track and this growing (progressing) properly. You do not want any issues with its development, especially near the later stages of its life.
You slave away carrying the cargo (workload)... many sleepless nights, headaches, and moody feelings. You countdown the days to the due date. WHEN IS THIS GOING TO BE OVER?!
And then, in an instant, life speeds up. There might be bad news- your "baby" isn't where they like it to be at this stage. There might be some good news- your "baby" is thriving and looking great! You scramble to get the last minute things done-- am I ready for this?!?! Like some Moms, the "D"-section has been previously set and it is a mad dash to the end. You ask those who have been through the process before for advice just to make sure you know what to expect.
The "birthday" is here! No turning back now! You pray for a perfect "delivery" of your "baby". Your friends and family cannot wait to talk to you afterward. The support is overwhelming. You did it!!!!!
While there are still some loose ends to take care of, the "baby" has potentials to do great things. It's healthy and the Doctors (Ph.D) signed its birth certificate (title page).
The baptism (graduation) is 2 months away, but it gives you time to enjoy the end of the ride and show gratitude to those who have helped you along the way.
Happy birthday thesis- welcome to the world!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This is awesome! Happy Birthday baby thesis!! Your older cousin is about to go to college but you will be there soon I know. :)
ReplyDelete