Tuesday, October 19, 2010

...That Ball is Outta Here!



I felt the urge to deviate from my normal "catch-up" blogs and post something different tonight. So, may I invite you to catch a glimpse of something very near and dear to my heart... the Philadelphia Phillies!

To be honest, baseball is in my blood. It starts with my grandfather, who... even though I may hold a slight bias... was an incredible ball player. He has been known to many of his friends as "Mr. Baseball" and held records at his college and for the leagues he has played in. Don't believe me... here is some proof: http://articles.mcall.com/1992-06-07/news/2852999_1_patch-first-managed-fielding-mark . He's a local legend and I couldn't be more proud of that fact.

Now fast forward to my Dad- another great player. He played in the same league that my grandfather was (and still is) intensely involved in. My grandfather must have been thrilled to know my Mom was going to marry someone who loved the sport as well. It was destiny, or so that is what I believe.

Alright- so now that you have the background of my baseball addition- this is where the Phillies come into play. (My grandfather is NOT a Phillies fan... he actually roots for the Detroit Tigers). However, my Mom and Dad raised me a Phils fan. My grandfather (my Dad's dad) rooted for the Phils too... so it guess that's another link to the great sport. So needless to say, they are a team my family (or some of us, at least) have been rooting for a long time.

In 24 years, I have seen the good and the bad of the franchise. And maybe that isn't considered a long time to some people... but it is a lot longer than many bandwagon fans we have picked up in the last few years. Growing up, I remember a lot of players and I knew rosters and line-ups like the back of my hand. I use to have a program of the players and I would sit in front of the TV looking at the players pictures while the games were on. One of my favorite ballplayers for the Phils was Mickey Morandini. His name is incredibly catchy to say... so honestly, I think that is why I was so fond of him. I still have his baseball card on my dresser at home.

Another memory I have was during the 1993 World Series. A series that broke my heart. I was in 1st grade and the Phillies were playing the Toronto Blue Jays. Needless to say... this is what I heard,
"The 2–2 pitch, line drive in deep left, this ball is outta here. Three-run home run, Joe Carter, and the Toronto Blue Jays are the world champions of baseball for the second straight year. A three-run home run in the bottom of the ninth by Joe Carter who's being mobbed at home plate." —Phillies radio announcer Harry Kalas.

I would be disappointed for another 15 years.

Fast forward to 2008... 15 years later... the Phillies FINALLY make it to the World Series against the Tampa Bay Rays. Between cold temperatures and crazy weather, the series had some awkward games-- I think it was the first time in history a World Series game was postponed mid-way through the game and finished up the following day? Anyhow, I sat on my apartment's couch, wrapped up in a blanket, chewing my finger nails off alone because my roommates though I was insane. And then I heard this:
"One strike away; nothing-and-two, the count to Hinske. Fans on the their feet; rally towels are being waved. Brad Lidge stretches. The 0–2 pitch — swing and a miss, struck him out! The Philadelphia Phillies are 2008 World Champions of baseball! Brad Lidge does it again, and stays perfect for the 2008 season! 48-for-48 in save opportunities, and let the city celebrate! Don't let the 48-hour wait diminish the euphoria of this moment, and the celebration. And it has been 28 years since the Phillies have enjoyed a World Championship; 25 years in this city that a team that has enjoyed a World Championship, and the fans are ready to celebrate. What a night!" —Harry Kalas

And what a night it was!!!

Okay, okay... so you read my blog of facts and memories about the Phillies and you are saying to yourself, "Justine, seriously? What is the bottom line in all of this?" And I say to you.... the bottom line is that this franchise is a very important part of my life. From my earliest memories, the Phillies were there. Every year they have a cast of crazy characters that you can't help but love. It dawned on me how proud I am to be a fan because it keeps me close to my roots. I wear my Phillies RED loud and proud. It reminds me of my baseball blood and also how awesome it is to see my home state (or at least the Eastern part)... rally behind OUR team. Philadelphia fans are THE toughest fans and believe me, it is a widely known fact. We booed Santa Clause.... yes you heard me right... Santa Clause. We are passionate about our City and we are passionate about our baseball. And for the past three Octobers, I have had the awesome chance to experience the electrifying vibe from the Phils doing well and I get to represent them 600+ miles away.

Here's to more Octobers full of incredible baseball and of course, Phillies RED.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry that the Phillies didn't make it last night. I wasn't raised in a baseball family, but reading your tweets and posts over the past few weeks has made me pay more attention to the sport and of course the Phillies. Passion can be contagious. :) Reading this post has given me some more insight into who Justine is....passionate about things that she loves, and loyal to those that she cares about. Both qualities that are admirable and so rare. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete